Straw Bale Homes & SIPs
From: Rod Lambert (rodecovillage.ithaca.ny.us)
Date: Thu, 16 Oct 2008 18:17:43 -0700 (PDT)
James,
Almost all of that $110k home was built without "sweat equity". It was mostly accomplished through subcontracts (for framing, plumbing, electrical etc.) which helped to give the owner assurance of a target price from the beginning. They made only a few significant changes, mostly sticking to the "script" avoiding "feature creep" to keep it on price. I like to think that the elegantly simple passive solar design -3 bedrooms up, open plan down, with 2 full baths - also contributed significantly to the affordable result.

(in my previous email "nbhds" = neighborhoods.) The choice of construction manager is very important. I interviewed several before making a choice. Because they are essentially an employee of the owner, the owner's project is the "boss". In a pure set-price approach, the contract is the "boss" and can lead to adversarial moments. The different methods usually lead to different results. It would take a lot of "ink" to properly describe the technique. Perhaps you can visit and I can give you a tour? The two neighborhoods here were built with the two methods and make an interesting comparison.

Rod