Re: Straw Bale Homes & SIPs
From: Kay Argyle (kay.argyleutah.edu)
Date: Wed, 29 Oct 2008 17:38:06 -0700 (PDT)
Wasatch Commons has SIP ("R-Control" brand) construction on ten of the
thirteen buildings.  See my message from Feb 2008,
http://lists.cohousing.org/pipermail/cohousing-l/msg27431.html. (Note a
missing word in the 2nd to last paragraph: "... downstairs has an open
floorplan ...")

It's important that both the architect and contractor have experience with
SIPs. In our case, I don't think either did. I'm sure some of the problems
encountered during construction could have been avoided, if the architect in
particular had had practical knowledge of what SIPs do well and what they
don't. SIPs don't allow the flexibility of design that stud construction
does. It affects everything from the shape of the building to where you put
outlets.

Leaks are a major threat, due to the fact the strandboard disintegrates when
wet, leaving just the foam. This has been a serious problem, and is the main
reason I wouldn't choose to build with SIPs again.

Kay