Interest in Mexico Cohousing
From: David Hornick (dhornicknycap.rr.com)
Date: Tue, 2 Dec 2008 05:02:28 -0800 (PST)
I am investigating the feasibility of creating a cohousing community in
Mexico.

Preliminary discussions I have had with Americans living in Oaxaca in
southern Mexico provided the following information:

-building cost of about $50.00 per square foot ($50,000 for the average
home)
-altitude of 5200 feet
-over 300 sunny days per year
-adequate wind resources for windpower
-temperate climate (50 to 90 degrees year-round)
-adequate rainfall in well chosen locations
-inexpensive labor -  construction, home maintenance, personal care
-fertile agricultural land

There are other opportunities in other parts of Mexico.

I am considering organizing a cohousing project that will house 30 families
and have the following characteristics:
-intergenerational
-mixed income
-universal design
-energy independent
-extended season agriculture
-guaranteed hands-on personal care services when needed
-affordable, quality healthcare

I'd like to hear from people who are willing to commit to this project.

David Hornick, MD
dhornick [at] nycap.rr.com
518-878-9355