Re: "built environment"
From: Lynn Nadeau (welcomeolympus.net)
Date: Sun, 21 Dec 2008 10:41:13 -0800 (PST)
I think in this context--- explaining how "built environment" figures in cohousing -- the 'building community' aspect is key.

Examples: People need to do certain things like eat, do laundry, park, pick up mail. We can design things so that, while doing such things, people also encounter each other and have a chance to connect. Shared meals, laundry facilities, parking clusters, mail boxes in the common house. Paths that pass by people's windows and porches. Lots of windows in our common house let us see that something is happening there in the evening, and we may be drawn to go see what it is. Or we come to the CH to pick up mail, and see the bulletin board, smell cooking, hear laughter.

Lynn Nadeau
RoseWind Cohousing, Port Townsend WA
where we have a sunny, spacious home for sale, and the great Blizzard brought us about two inches of snow-- rare for here, and the kids are loving it.