Re: An Amazing Conference Story. AND "Crucial Conversation" Workshop Presentation Material Sought
From: Sharon Villines (sharonsharonvillines.com)
Date: Fri, 10 Jul 2009 15:40:55 -0700 (PDT)

On Jul 8, 2009, at 12:04 AM, Ann Zabaldo wrote:

I am particularly interested in the conversations we're NOT having.
The ones that have a veneer of This is Personal and for which we as a
community are unclear about the boundaries.  What's personal
business?  What's community business?

i think this is one of the most interesting questions. If you are living in community, what is not business?

Communities are systems and behavior on a system is largely determined by the system. The best way to change behavior is to change (fix) the system.

Three that I identified right away are:  how will we take care of our
elders (Aging in Community),

Like accessibility isn't just an issue for the physically challenged, the need for community support isn't an issue solely related to aging. I can only think of only two instances among many in the last few years when we were taking in dinners for "elderly" people (over 70). The rest were for the young and hardy.

But one "solution" is to hire out more maintenance and spend more time on community building activities.

I also see a need for determining how to provide space for adults in community. Now that we have built child-friendly communities, how do we make them also friendly for events that are not appropriate for children -- quiet dinners, times to just read a book outdoors, adult conversations without interruptions?

 The participants created
their own workshop around these three "Crucial Conversations" outlined
above.

More power to you for being the catalyst for this. Probably more participants would do this if given the chance. "Come and talk about it" workshops. And empty room.

Sharon
----
Sharon Villines
Same community as Ann: