Re: site & plans = less interest in associate status?
From: Sharon Villines (sharonsharonvillines.com)
Date: Fri, 10 Jul 2009 14:57:18 -0700 (PDT)

On Jul 9, 2009, at 6:10 PM, Kristi Barlow wrote:

People are much less likely to become associates now,
they tend to hover outside the group for a meeting or two, look at
plans in person, take the price info home and make their decision
without ever becoming an associate.

As frustrating as it is, most people relate to space and price first. I know some people who bought apartments here had little concept of what cohousing was all about and did not think they needed to. Others had a strong sense of community aside from cohousing so it was fine.

I don't think our group did enough to insist that people read at least one book. The attitude was that we couldn't require anyone to do anything. They still think that, though we have had good luck with new residents who are on the whole more active than those they replaced.

My suggestion would be to keep in touch with them and send very clear messages that this is a community, not an apartment complex. There are expectations attached that they should understand. And they need to begin getting to know their potential neighbors before they move in.

Say up front that priority will go to those who are involved with the group _and helping_ to make the dream come true. Make it clear that this is not a done deal. It will still take work. If people are put off by work, you won't be able to carry them anyway.

Say it even if it isn't legal. It's the truth so they should know it.

Sharon
----
Sharon Villines in Washington DC
Where all roads lead to Casablanca