Re: site & plans = less interest in associate status?
From: Sharon Villines (sharonsharonvillines.com)
Date: Sun, 12 Jul 2009 07:11:45 -0700 (PDT)

On Jul 11, 2009, at 11:35 AM, Kristi Barlow wrote:

 Our cohousing professionals predicted
the opposite: that securing a site and completing designs* would
increase by a factor of 10 the number of people interested in our
project. So I'm asking this list, what has been other forming
communities' experience with having a site and designs, did it
increase or decrease the # of associates joining your group?

I think you have your answer in your question. The experience is that people commit faster unless prices are now out of the range of reasonable, which sometimes happens to groups.

Do you have any incentives for joining now instead of later? Priority in choosing units? Lower prices?

Is it more related to the economy -- thinking prices will go down if they wait. Or there being a glut of apartments available now.

Have you tried asking them why? This seems like a very small thing, for example, but if I were at the point of making a commitment, I don't think I would want to be called an "Associate Member." I wonder if being called at least a "New Member" or something until they do whatever is required to become a member might help. Stuff like that sometimes will break loose at least a few people.

Are you careful to be transparent? Giving people full access to the group -- even if they don't participate in decision-making they are included in the group when it makes decisions.

Sharon
----
Sharon Villines
Takoma Village Cohousing, Washington DC