Re: site & plans = less interest in associate status?
From: Kristi Barlow (kristibrooklyncohousing.org)
Date: Sat, 11 Jul 2009 08:35:27 -0700 (PDT)

Thank you for your response Sharon. Reading over my post again, I'm not sure I communicated my query clearly.

No one is making a decision to become a member of our community (i.e. buy a unit) without going through the associate & education process - that is not possible in our project.

What is happening is that people who *are* interested in the community aspects, who would seem to be a great fit philosophically and life- experience-wise, and who could make the financials work if they were motivated to -- those folks are not becoming associates ($350) and getting involved with the group while they weigh their options. Instead, they come to a few meetings, they take home the pretty specific price and design info available, and go home and sit in a "wait-and-see" attitude for some weeks before (usually) concluding that this doesn't make sense for them. Many of them are such a good fit attitude-wise, that it seems a shame they don't become involved in the group as a way of weighing their options. Perhaps they are simply protecting their hearts by keeping a distance, I know a few have said that. Perhaps others see how much work it is and want to "decide" before getting involved in weekly meetings.

Whatever the reasons for individuals - and I'm only guessing at them - the phenomenon is clear: ever since we have had a specific site with specific designs* and costs, people become associates at a much much lower rate than they used to. Our cohousing professionals predicted the opposite: that securing a site and completing designs* would increase by a factor of 10 the number of people interested in our project. So I'm asking this list, what has been other forming communities' experience with having a site and designs, did it increase or decrease the # of associates joining your group?

Kristi
www.brooklyncohousing.org

*we know people love the design of the building, that doesn't seem to be the issue.

Re: site & plans = less interest in associate status? <– Date – > <– Thread –>
From: Sharon Villines (sharonsharonvillines.com)
Date: Fri, 10 Jul 2009 14:57:18 -0700 (PDT)