Re: participation pledges
From: dmcfe (dmcfeaol.com)
Date: Wed, 15 Jul 2009 07:55:17 -0700 (PDT)
 My experience with cohousing for the last 15 years, is that it's always a
challenge to "get" people to walk their talk, or follow agreements, as folks
tend to do what they want to do, even taking into account that the idea is to
create an intentional? community for the entire group... How you can approach
getting folks to walk their talk depends on if you are a full consensus or
majority community; being able to remind participants about agreements in a
kind way when there is conflict is a step my community is trying to deal with
currently ( ie: when things are going fine, there's no problem, but conflict
arises from agreements of some kind being put aside in some way). If you are
creating an intentional community based on cohousing principles it's reasonable
for you to expect that agreements be remembered and followed, and I'm finding
the next step is trying to find a way to have people who are in community for
the "great" part also be involved in buying in to being willing to hear a kind
reminder that they are not walking their talk.. making this part of the
conversation is the point of conflict that I'm looking for a tool for.
First step: I strongly suggest you get pledges to a clear mission statement,
especially if you are considering consensus for your decision making. Consensus
is the most rewarding practice I've been involved with, but has proved to be
the most fragile, and a clear pledge to sustain it is a facet that you need to
consider and incorporate clearly as a commitment and foundation principle. David