Re: Professor Gates, the policeman, and community
From: Susan Hedgpeth (hedgpethberkeley.edu)
Date: Fri, 24 Jul 2009 09:46:24 -0700 (PDT)
This is very good. I think you should write a letter to the editor of your local paper.

Diane wrote:
Sitting here in Cambridge Cohousing and watching our fair city
becoming the center of a national controversy, I can't help thinking
that if the spirit of cohousing had spread to other neighborhoods in
Cambridge the whole sad episode might not have happened.   Let us
imagine that in Professor Gate's neighborhood, a neighborhood by the
way where the percentage of Harvard professors is probably the highest
in the world, there had been years of neighborhood meetings and years
of block parties so that the neighbors knew each other.   Then whoever
it was who called the police would have known that Professor Gates
lived in that house and instead of calling the police would have gone
over to greet the professor, ask how his trip had been, say how nice
it was to have him back, ask what was wrong with the door, and helped
him to get into his house.   That's what would have happened in a
cohousing community if someone saw their neighbor struggling with a
front door.

Diane Margolis, Cambridge Cohousing and board member of COHO/US

-