Re: Working on a coCamping project while planning for future cohousing.
From: Bob Morrison (RHmorrisonAOL.com)
Date: Tue, 4 Aug 2009 10:05:39 -0700 (PDT)
  I would like to add something to Raines Cohen's excellent comments on
this. IMO a cohousing community can't succeed unless there are good
year-round jobs nearby, and I sense this isn't true for the area around
Clemons, NY. I have never visited this area, but I know a few things about
it. To succeed, a coho in a rural area must bring in at least a few
households from outside the region and unless they are retired and can live
comfortably on their retirement income, one of the first questions they will
ask is what the job prospects are.

  Most people can't live year round on the income they make working in the
summer tourism industry, and I sense there isn't a lot of winter tourism in
this area.

  Telecommuting from 100 miles or more away from the workplace is feasible
for a few jobs, but I don't think you can fill a cohousing community with
telecommuters either.

  A senior coho might be feasible and if so, it would mostly solve the
problem of few local jobs. But there aren't any senior cohos in the
Northeast, and IMO it would be too risky to try to establish one there. The
first senior coho in the Northeast should be next to an existing
multigenerational coho, and that might happen in western MA.

Bob Morrison