Re: Cost estimates
From: Robert Heinich (robertenocommons.org)
Date: Sun, 14 Feb 2010 04:51:53 -0800 (PST)
On Sun, Feb 14, 2010 at 4:19 AM, Marganne Meyer <marganne [at]
macnexus.org>wrote:
Has there been any cohousing projects that have successfully come in
on time and within budget? Is my concept of how planning and
construction works totally up-side-down?

There is a saying in construction: You have three options: quality, budget,
time ... choose two.  (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Project_triangle).

Eno Commons was over budget and we lost good people who could not afford the
increase.  It was late by at least a year and those of us living in
apartments had keep extending our lease (3x for me) at some additional
expense.  Thank goodness the quality was good.

Despite these difficulties, I can not imagine living any place else

Good luck on your endeavor.

-Robert Heinich
 Eno Commons Cohousing
 Durham, NC
 http://www.enocommons.org
  where we just had 3" of snow and most of it gone by the end of the day