Re: Use of visual aids in business meetings
From: Eris Weaver (eriserisweaver.info)
Date: Tue, 2 Mar 2010 09:27:03 -0800 (PST)
Here at FrogSong, we usually just use flipcharts, unless we are doing
something that can really benefit from the projector. A good use of the
projector has been for budget meetings - we projected the budget
spreadsheet, and as we made changes to the budget people could see
immediately how any given change would affect their dues.

I do a lot of graphic recording as part of my facilitation business (see
examples at http://www.erisweaver.info/graphic.html), using a 4 by 8 foot
easel. So I can write & draw BIG!

Even with smaller flip charts, there are things you can do to make them more
readable.

Markers: Of the easily available & affordable brands, Mr. Sketch chisel tips
are best. You can get them unscented; the scented ones aren't TOO bad (I am
sensitive to scents but am able to use them). DON'T BE SKIMPY! BUY A WHOLE
BUNCH OF THEM and throw them away immediately when they dry up!  (Why do so
many people put dead pens & markers back in the bin/cup/drawer? One of my
pet peeves)

Colors: Use red ONLY for highlighting, it is too hard to read. Best colors
for text are black, brown, blue, dark green and dark purple. Don't use any
of the other colors except for highlights!!!

If you are writing a list, use two colors and switch so they alternate every
other line - much easier to read. Keep the pens between the fingers of your
non-dominant hand with the tops off, then you can easily & quickly switch
back & forth.

Letter size - needs to be 2-3 inches high, minimum! Better to use LOTS of
paper and have people see what you're writing rather than try to cram teeny
print on one sheet.

Here's a quick way to estimate height, and also make straight lines to draw
on (this is easier to demonstrate than to write, maybe I need a little
video?):
Use a yellow pen (no one will see it from a distance) or a pencil. Keep your
pinky finger out so it drags across the paper - in fact, the more of your
hand that touches the  paper, the better control you have. Draw a line
across the paper with your pinky touching the top edge. That should be about
2-3 inches down, depending on the size of your hands. You can make more
straight lines by dragging your pinky along the previous line, and so on
down the page.  Or you can just use the pre-lined   pads of paper, although
they are expensive.

Tape: I use blue masking tape that doesn't mark the walls. Before the
meeting, tear off a bunch of pieces and stick them to the legs of your
easel. Then when you need to tear off  a sheet of paper and put it on the
wall, your tape is ready to go!

eris [at] erisweaver.info
707-338-8589
http://www.erisweaver.info