Wonderful MAC Conference Yesterday
From: Sharon Villines (Sharonsharonvillines.com)
Date: Sun, 21 Mar 2010 11:59:29 -0700 (PDT)
Mid Atlantic Cohousing put on a wonderful conference yesterday. The arrangements and supporting materials were as detailed and well designed as they would have been for a professional conference for 2,000. It's so hard to arrive in a strange place and have no idea where to go. Ann Z (Takoma Village), Martie W, (Liberty Village), Brigitte (of Blueberry Hill), and Marlys (Potomac Valley) were the main elves and they had lots of help.

I had expected to get away from Takoma Village for the day but arrived to find half my neighbors handing things out and carrying boxes and trays.

About 150 people showed up for 20 sessions on everything a cohousing community needs from ideas for marketing to their energy future to playing well with others. We were well-fed with bag lunches in the sun and more snacks than we should talk about. (I have a stash in my bag.)

At least 20 people showed up afterwards, in different groups at Ann's favorite Indian restaurant. If you think that was a coincidence, you don't know Ann.

I didn't see everything but Zev's closing presentation on Peak Community was on a sign of things to come with diminishing oil reserves and focused an exciting concept that will bring cohousing further into the mainstream as a blueprint for energy starved communities. I'm sure we will hear more about this. There were tons of other presenters, I'm sorry I can't type out all their names.

Laird was solid and energetic as he always is. Ask Raines about the rubber duckies. All I'll say is that they involved a top hat, auctioneering skills, and a quacking good time.

It was nice and encouraging and lots of good ideas for reenergizing olld communities and starting new ones.

Sharon
----
Sharon Villines
Takoma Village Cohousing, Washington DC