Open Source Policies and More
From: seaseal (seasealgot.net)
Date: Mon, 3 May 2010 19:45:19 -0700 (PDT)
I have long thought that a great local business would be to make modular pieces that could be bolted together in multiple ways to form houses in a community. That way, people could get their 17 pieces of "house" and put them together for a configuration to their liking. I'm a believer in this as I live in a home made from modular pieces, made in a factory and shipped in a container, ready to be put together. The assembly goes most quickly with professionals, but it goes even with unskilled volunteers.

This is another way to get a bunch of houses built--the old-fashioned and time-honored Barn Raising effort.

The modular parts factories could be replicated on the same premise. Bill McKibben wrote about the Brazilian town Curitiba, where the poor, living in substandard conditions in a flood plain, were moved to a location along a transit line and given homes they could design within the perimeters of the project. Maria Vaz made a video about Curitiba called "A Convenient Truth."

Open Source Housing.

Cecile
seaseal [at] got.net

"I am not afraid of storms for I am learning to
  sail my ship."
  -- Louisa May Alcott