Re: right of first refusal - discriminatory history
From: Michael Barrett (mbarretttoast.net)
Date: Wed, 4 Aug 2010 10:43:32 -0700 (PDT)
Thank you Kristi.

Discrimination!  That word!  Of course!  Never thought about it.

Examining my own feelings, I find it interesting (and disturbing) that I
would be very concerned to hear of the right of first refusal being used to
exclude a person for ethnicity or color, but, in my own mind, using it against
against a person who doesn't embrace cohousing is OK.

"We want to preserve our values.  We live a certain way, choose to have a
distinct lifestyle."

Spoken in a cohousing context, these words seems fine.
Considered in an ethnic or skin color context - they make my flesh creep.
Interesting.  Evidently I suffer from a measure of blindness such that it
took Kristi to open my eyes.

I imagine banks keep away from rights of first refusal so that they can't be
accused of any association with discrimination.

Michael

- Original Message ----- From: "Kristen Simmons" <simmonskristen [at] gmail.com>