right of first refusal - discriminatory history
From: Kristen Simmons (simmonskristengmail.com)
Date: Wed, 4 Aug 2010 09:06:32 -0700 (PDT)
Historically, the right of first refusal has been used to discriminate
against prospective buyers, although I understand that this is not exactly
the intent of cohousing communities. Other owners can band together to buy a
unit instead of letting it be sold to a person of color, a single woman,
etc., as well as people who might be perceived to be less community
oriented. This is my understanding, based on limited research. Others
probably know a lot more.

FHA and VA Loans will not guarantee mortgages where the the condo docs
include the right of first refusal. This language is condo docs will limit
the mortgage options of potential buyers.