Re: Energy demand is the problem
From: Norman Gauss (normangausscharter.net)
Date: Sat, 16 Jul 2011 10:24:17 -0700 (PDT)
Sharon:

Here is an excerpt from the Wikipedia website on carbon dioxide:

"In indoor spaces occupied by people the carbon dioxide concentration will
reach higher levels than in pure outdoor air. Concentrations higher than
1,000 ppm will cause discomfort in more than 20% of occupants, and the
discomfort will increase with increasing CO2 concentration. The discomfort
will be caused by various gases coming from human respiration and
perspiration, and not by CO2 itself. At 2,000 ppm the majority of occupants
will feel a significant degree of discomfort, and many will develop nausea
and headaches. The CO2 concentration between 300 and 2,500 ppm is used as an
indicator of indoor air quality."

Your community's goal to minimize heating fresh air before it enters the
building's circulation means that a compromise must be reached between
maintaining indoor air quality and keeping the temperature within the range
of human comfort.  In the process of pumping in fresh air, there also must
be a consideration of getting rid of stale air.  Buildings situated in areas
with extremely cold winters frequently have special devices known as heat
exchangers.  In some tight buildings it is necessary to pump indoor air to
the outdoors because it is stale.  Before this happens, the stale air is
routed to heat exchangers so that the heat of the stale air can be used to
heat the incoming fresh air.  For very tight buildings this is essential
because of the back pressure that stale air can present when fresh air is
trying to enter the building.

In our common house, we have continuously running exhaust fans in our
restrooms and shower which also pump air out of the rest of the building so
that there tends to be a partial vacuum.  We have vents that supply makeup
air for these exhaust fans.  Since our climate has mild winters, we have no
need for heat exchangers.

It is important not to confuse the concept of exhaustion of combustion gases
with air quality in the occupied spaces.  Upon installation, furnaces and
water heaters have efficient ways to avoid mixing combustion gases with
indoor air.

Norm Gauss