Affordable Housing in Your Community
From: Ann Zabaldo (zabaldoearthlink.net)
Date: Tue, 26 Jul 2011 21:30:45 -0700 (PDT)
Hello again!

This is not a contest!  :-)

As you know, I will be on the Kojo Nnamdi show on Washington DC's local NPR
station WAMU 88.5 FM this Thursday, July 28th starting at noon EDST.  Katie
McCamant is The Guest.  Jack Wilbern, Blueberry Hill Cohousing is providing
"local commentary" and I'll be representing Mid Atlantic Cohousing as one of
the board members of that organization.

I'm sure that one of the questions we'll be asked is about affordability in
cohousing.  I can certainly talk about what I know from my personal experience
visiting cohousing communities but I think there are a lot more stories out
there.  One of things I find so interesting are the number of communities that
have either underwritten affordable units on their own dime, worked out
interesting co-op arrangements w/ local gov't agencies and/or have built in
affordability components into the operation of the community e.g. through
sliding scale HOA dues.

I would very much like to hear how you have built affordability into your
community.  Would you be willing to write a few words about it to this list?

Many thanks!

Best --

Ann Zabaldo
Takoma Village Cohousing