Re: Affordable Housing in Your Community
From: joyce thorn (jcthornearthlink.net)
Date: Tue, 26 Jul 2011 21:41:44 -0700 (PDT)
We have retrofitted 1940's housing and the units cost from $110,000 t0 $160,000.
        Joyce            Mayfair Village  Denver
On Jul 26, 2011, at 10:30 PM, Ann Zabaldo wrote:

Hello again!

This is not a contest!  :-)

As you know, I will be on the Kojo Nnamdi show on Washington DC's local NPR station WAMU 88.5 FM this Thursday, July 28th starting at noon EDST. Katie McCamant is The Guest. Jack Wilbern, Blueberry Hill Cohousing is providing "local commentary" and I'll be representing Mid Atlantic Cohousing as one of the board members of that organization.

I'm sure that one of the questions we'll be asked is about affordability in cohousing. I can certainly talk about what I know from my personal experience visiting cohousing communities but I think there are a lot more stories out there. One of things I find so interesting are the number of communities that have either underwritten affordable units on their own dime, worked out interesting co-op arrangements w/ local gov't agencies and/or have built in affordability components into the operation of the community e.g. through sliding scale HOA dues.

I would very much like to hear how you have built affordability into your community. Would you be willing to write a few words about it to this list?

Many thanks!

Best --

Ann Zabaldo
Takoma Village Cohousing