Re: Affordable Housing in Your Community Ann Zabaldo
From: Sharon Villines (sharonsharonvillines.com)
Date: Wed, 27 Jul 2011 07:33:07 -0700 (PDT)
On 27 Jul 2011, at 9:32 AM, Fred H Olson wrote:

> I think it would be a mistake to allow listeners think that
> cohousing in the US has been very successful about addressing
> affordability. Attempts have been made, there is a desire to
> make cohousing affordable, but it remains a major challenge.

I agree with you, Fred, but I also think that it would be a mistake to believe
that it hasn't been accomplished in many cohousing communities for at least
some of the residents. Ann is eternally optimistic.

What hasn't been done is low income cohousing.

The current market is very hard for everyone and like the added burden it
places on the disadvantaged, it is equally hard on small odd enterprises like
cohousing. And will remain hard because low income and rental units require
investors. In this market investors are not taking risks.

And before you say cohousing is not risky, note that eBay, when it was already
up and running, was considered a risky investment. The developer had to provide
her own funding in order to grow. People with money are very conservative —
that's how they got their money and will keep it.

Sharon
----
Sharon Villines
Takoma Village Cohousing, Washington DC