Re: Affordable Housing in Your Community Ann Zabaldo
From: Kw Wilson (kwwilsonbartcommunity.org)
Date: Fri, 29 Jul 2011 21:53:04 -0700 (PDT)
We kind of stumbled into affordable housing.

. We didn't have enough presales to start construction, so three of
our families put money down on four units to use as rentals. After
over a year, one upstairs unit had not sold, so one family purchased
it to use as a rental, totaling five rentals.

. Some of our original members used an existing non-profit
organization to purchase one unit as a rental for a low income family
who is in temporary need of help. They were awarded a grant to use for
the down payment. The mortgage payments are made with pledged
donations. The family is carefully chosen after an in-depth interview
to determine that they are able to be financially successful. They are
allowed to stay one year.

. Our Declaration includes a rental ceiling that allows for those
units to remain rentals.

. When one of our families had trouble paying their monthly
assessment, the non-profit group set up a fund that people could
contribute to for the purpose of helping a family make the payment
once or twice a year.

. When some of our residents could not afford to attend weekly
community dinners (at $3.50/adult), the non-profit set up another fund
for contributions to help such families attend the meals. (When these
funds run low, they send out a notice that more contributions would be
appreciated, and this seems to work.)

Kay Wilson
Meadow Wood Condo Cohousing