Wordpress for Cohousing & Other Community Websites
From: Sharon Villines (sharonsharonvillines.com)
Date: Tue, 6 Sep 2011 10:06:05 -0700 (PDT)
I started using Wordpress two years ago and have transitioned my community's
websites, public and private. I'm the only person in my community who knows
WordPress although there are several people with enough website and programming
experience to learn it quickly.

The community as a whole would feel much better about using WordPress if they
knew there were other cohousing webmasters who could help them manage the site
in an emergency — like if I walk in front of a truck (sort of possible) or go
catatonic (totally possible). We have a guest room calendar designed in 3-4
different languages by a resident who left years ago and we just pray that it
doesn't break. It's uglier than sin and has misspelled words but we don't dare
touch the files. We still "researve" rooms.

So I set up a YahooGroup for webmasters in cohousing and other residential
communities using Wordpress and other open source programs — I know some use
Drupal. I thought a support group would benefit everyone both learning the
programs and hearing new ideas.

I'm sort of beginning to learn Drupal because the TimeBank USA's tracking
program, Community Weaver, is now on Drupal and available for hosting on your
own website. I'm thinking again of trying to use it for workshare.

To subscribe to the Wordpress list, send a blank message to:

coho-wordpress-subscribe [at] yahoogroups.com

Sharon
----
Sharon Villines
Takoma Village Cohousing, Washington DC