Re: Does anyone do voting instead.....
From: Muriel Kranowski (murielkvt.edu)
Date: Fri, 16 Sep 2011 12:17:44 -0700 (PDT)
At 01:55 PM 9/16/2011, you wrote:
....or how about a qurom being the number of people
who show up for a meeting? Thanks Regine @ Nevada City Coho in
California.

Our "quorum" has always been whoever shows up at the business meeting. The big irrevocable decisions were made in the early years, when meetings were held weekly and were very well attended. Now, most low-level decisions are made at the committee level, and those that land at the plenary are usually not very controversial, so we have sparse attendance at most of the monthly business meetings.

After all, most people don't join cohousing because they love to attend meetings, even though the early years of frequent meetings and difficult decisions are certainly bonding, kind of like boot camp. We don't see why proposal sponsors and those who bothered to come should be penalized because their neighbors would rather not be there. If an issue is really important, more people will surely be there.

I can recall only one occasion when a decision was deferred because someone at a sparsely attended meeting felt sure the community didn't understand the ramifications of the proposal (the evidence being the sparse attendance) and that the issue needed more publicity.

    Muriel
    Shadowlake Village Cohousing
Blacksburg, VA