Re: Does anyone do voting instead.....
From: Mary Ann Clark (drmaryannmac.com)
Date: Sat, 17 Sep 2011 06:28:30 -0700 (PDT)
Here at Manzanita Village in Prescott AZ we use consensus for every decision
except those those requiring a  vote of the homeowners as mandated by our
CC&Rs. (We're an HOA for the sake of our state recognition.) Only the
homeowners can elect the titular board of directors (board mostly rubber stamps
decisions made by the community as a whole), raise the HOA dues, revise the
CC&Rs and By Laws and levy special assessments. All other decisions are made by
the community as a whole including homeowners, renters, and associate members.
Voting by the homeowners requires a quorum of 1/3 of the households (not
individuals) participating in person or by absentee ballot.
The consensus process is divided into 2 forms: what we call simple consensus
which only requires that the people in the room consense and full consensus the
use a three-view process that is designed to gain the support of the whole
community.

We're a 15+ year-old community & this is working well for us.

Mary Ann
--
Let us be grateful to people who make us happy, they are the charming gardeners
who make our souls blossom.  Marcel Proust