Re: Standing exclusive-group dinners vs standing community-group dinners--do the former inhibit the latter?
From: Jessie Kome (jehakomac.com)
Date: Sun, 12 Feb 2012 18:19:45 -0800 (PST)
Hi-

At Eastern Village, 56 households, we have never gotten a weekly meal going in
the usual cohousing sense.  We have a long-standing Monday potluck meal that
everyone is welcome at that usually has 15-20 people attend each week.  There
is a vegan dinner group that is smaller and involves advance sign ups for
cooking and participating. We try to have meals after our monthly community
meetings; the organization depends on the volunteers.

Because I came out of a cohousing neighborhood with a different meal tradition,
a couple of weekly meals, and nearly all of the adults take a few turns a
quarter to cook, I have struggled with this. But after observing the Eastern
Village community since our move-in in 2004, I have realized that we do manage
to eat together more than it looks like at first.  In a community of this size,
there's always a birthday party. Or someone declares a happy hour. Or grilling
in the courtyard. Or Sukkot dining on the roof. Or a community holiday feast.
Or snacks and Superbowl. Or beer tasting. Or tea tasting. Or ordering carryout
for craft night. Or group dining at a new neighborhood restaurant.

A fairly new EVC neighbor who moved from a West Coast cohousing group with an
active community meal tradition was quite dismayed with us at first and called
EVC "cohousing lite" (for the meal thing and other stuff). Lately, I have heard
her talk about our flexibility and impulsiveness.  And I know she has learned
that we come when a neighbor calls for help. That's a big chunk of what it's
all about.

-Jessie Handforth Kome
Eastern Village Cohousing
Silver Spring, Maryland
"Where a couple of my neighbors have new babies so we bring them meals."