Emergency preparedness
From: Heather Carver (tierrabodhigmail.com)
Date: Sun, 11 Mar 2012 13:43:38 -0700 (PDT)
I'm on our emergency preparedness team, so I was looking through the archives
for any wisdom from other cohousing communities that may have experienced
natural (or unnatural) disasters. There was a thread a few years back about a
role for the national co-housing organization in disaster prep, but I guess it
didn't really go anywhere.

Subduction earthquakes similar to the one last year in Japan happen in this
area about every 300 years, and the last one was 312 years ago. So we're trying
to get prepared. Needless to say, we're better prepared than most
neighborhoods, simply because we all know each other, and are used to working
together.

We would like to establish a link with a community in another part of the
country to be an out-of-state- contact. This is recommended for families
because sometimes long-distance calls can get through even when local lines are
down or restricted to emergency calls. In addition to our family out-of-state
contacts, we thought it could be good to have one for the community. Then
everyone who's at work or wherever could call or text our location/condition to
the out-of-state contact, and whoever is handling communications at the
Ecovillage could check with you for updates. And, of course, we'd do the same
for you.

thankyou!

Heather Carver
Columbia Ecovillage, Portland, Ore.