Re: Exit Signs and Other Ugly Things
From: Bryan Bowen (bryanbryanbowenarchitects.com)
Date: Mon, 12 Mar 2012 08:13:17 -0700 (PDT)
I'll offer a point or two.

Exit signage is required by building code, IBC/IFC in most jurisdictions.
The location and characteristics (brightness, size, etc) of the signage are
also specified.  The signs are designed to meet these regs, and there isn't
a lot of wiggle room.  That said, the local building official or fire
marshal may be willing to accept an alternative.  Exit signage is usually on
a separate circuit with emergency backup.  You might also have to provide
emergency lighting.  Anyway, egress lighting (not necessarily fire sprinkler
plans, that's a different story) is part of the architect's scope of work
and should be in their drawings (or those of their electrical engineer) and
shouldn't require any decision making from the community.

I usually specify the most innocuous LED signs available.  Just shop around
and see what you like, and ask the GC or architect or electrical engineer
for options.  Generally, I just try to make it all as unobtrusive as
possible.

And, regarding the discussion about coordination of systems below:  Ideally,
the architects and the rest of the design team should be involved from start
to finish, including construction.  Often, the fire sprinkling systems are
designed by the GC's subcontractor, and in that case the work is not
performed until after the construction documents are complete.  The
customary practice in this approach is for the GC, architect, mechanical and
structural engineer to review the proposed fire sprinkler design for
conflicts with their work (ducts, beams, soffits, etc).  This should work
just fine, although occasionally there are trickier issues to solve than
there would be if the fire sprinkler design was completed before the CDs are
permitting and bid.   If the architects and design team are not involved
with construction, usually this stuff is missed or done without good
consideration.  Not bashing GC's, I simply mean that well have different
expertise we bring together to create a good outcome.

As to a few of Tom Loft's comments about what architects draw:  there's
certainly some truth to what you say.  Full coordination of all visible
objects (switches, outlets, etc) can lead to more errors that clarity, so
they often are "drawn once and drawn right" on the relevant engineers
sheets.  That said, we do copy a lot of critical information to our drawings
to be sure it's fully coordinated.  I'm pretty surprised that you've had a
hard time getting architects to show downspouts, meter locations,
transformer pads, etc.  We show them on our drawings for coordination
purposes.  Some things like the phone pedestals are field located by
utilities, so we can't draw them in advance.  What I'm saying, I suppose, is
that there is a family of stuff we show, an a family of stuff we don't show,
and we try to make sure there is sound logic to both.  I know not everyone
does that, but I do think it's good practice.

And the last point:  there is a very common disconnect between MEP drawings
and the field installation...the MEP drawings are often schematic and
simplified, but they should be coordinated such that no surprises happen.
There are some good reasons for that, but a good design team plus a good GC
and on site team will give you the best results you can find...not
perfection....

-b

bryan bowen architects, p.c.
1510 ZAMIA AVENUE #103   -  BOULDER, CO  80304  -   (303)443-3629
www.bryanbowenarchitects.com