Re: Looking for folks to have a community technology conversation with
From: Sharon Villines (sharonsharonvillines.com)
Date: Sat, 22 Dec 2012 06:51:47 -0800 (PST)
On Dec 21, 2012, at 8:38 PM, Timothy Hunter <cyclists [at] nc.rr.com> wrote:

> The idea is to remotely monitor their availability, not schedule their use.
> Check out Laundry View: http://www.laundryview.com/lvs.php

Amazing. Do you know how this works? How much it costs to set up? The site
doesn't give any clues except that you can use a cell phone and receive alerts
when the machines are available.

For large communities it might reduce the number of machines, and thus the
space required, because use could be more easily balanced. Though I think less
than two machines would cancel out some of the convenience of a laundry room --
 being able to do more than one load at a time.

The site also includes a very nice "Laundry Help" page of links to helpful
sites with laundering, ironing, stain removal, drying tips, water quality
problems, etc. Includes the "Campus Clothesline" and cleaning manufacturers'
sites.

http://www.laundryview.com/resources.php

(Includes the tip to shake out each item of clothing before putting it in the
dryer. Obvious but never occurred to me. That's what you do when you line dry.)