Architecture Real professionalism Re: Affordable Cohousing
From: Wayne Tyson (landrestcox.net)
Date: Mon, 31 Dec 2012 13:00:13 -0800 (PST)
Bums and bozos can describe "developers" too, and any "economies" theoretically realized tend to line said B&B's pockets at the expense of quality work. That shoddy, careless work, has become a new set-point for the construction industry got started in the post-war building boom of the 1940's and has worsened into a tangled web of institutionalized incompetence that blood-sucks its clients at every level, even up through the ranks of architects.

I don't place all of the blame on the "industry." The skills still present in the 1940's are gone, and their legacy has not been preserved. It's too late. The truly professional (putting the work first and the buck second) is dead. With the rise of the sales pitch and dream-merchants, quality declined as "appearance" became dominant. "Consumers" swallowed the doughballs hook, line, and sinker, and the last nail was driven into the coffins of the true professionals/craftspeople long ago.

The only way this age can be resuscitated in some reasonable form is for professionals to start putting the work ahead of the buck, and for the "consumers" to demand real quality in fundamental and finish work. One place to start is contracts written in collaboration with real architects and end-users.

Flim-flammery marches on . . .

WT

----- Original Message ----- From: "Sharon Villines" <sharon [at] sharonvillines.com>