Re: Urban cohousing communities -- do you compost?
From: Fred H Olson (fholsoncohousing.org)
Date: Fri, 1 Mar 2013 12:42:29 -0800 (PST)
Barbara Moulton bcmhorse [at] sonic.net
after deleting most of quoted digest, restoring subject line.

david bygott <davidbygott [at] yahoo.com> wrote:

>We have been using the "Bokashi" system for years and find it
>effective. All you need is a few airtight buckets (you can buy online
>"gamma-seal" twist-off lids that are easy to open and close and fit on
>any 5-gal bucket) and the EM (effective microorganism) culture, which
>also you can find online. There's no smell (unless your bucket leaks!)
>When we fill a bucket we set it aside for 3-4 weeks to allow the
>anaerobic fermentation to progress, before digging it into the garden,
>so you need about 4-5 buckets to keep that rotation going. The process
>can handle just about any food scraps, including eggshells and chicken
>carcasses, but NOT plastics, and some items like large bones and
>avocado skins & pits don't decompose. Here's a starter link:

Anaerobic composting?  It's my understanding that anaerobic composting
produces methane as a by-product.  Methane is a way more potent
GreenHouse Gas than CO2, especially in the short term.  So I'd check
that out before doing anything anaerobic.

Barbara Moulton
bcmhorse [at] sonic.net