Re: Finding General Contractors
From: R Philip Dowds (rpdowdscomcast.net)
Date: Thu, 7 Mar 2013 23:28:37 -0800 (PST)
Cornerstone Cohousing in Cambridge, MA, is now a little over ten years old.  We
use two different processes:  the "proposal" process, and the "competitive bid"
process.

For a proposal-type process, we know we want something, but are not sure
exactly what.  So we find a couple of appropriate (sub)contractors — plumbers,
carpenters, painters, whatever — tell them what we think the problem or the
goal is, and then let each one explain how s/he would approach the project, and
what s/he would charge.  In its simplest form, the proposal process includes
only one candidate, one who is trusted to offer good advice, good service, and
a fair price.  The challenge is that two or more candidates may have totally
different ideas about what to do and why, and offer totally different prices.
So we are comparing apples to oranges — and have a strong tendency to believe
that the cheap apple is far more delicious than the pricey orange.

For the bid-type process, we know pretty much exactly what we want, and it's
all spelled out in drawings and specifications.  We then seek competitive bids
— in writing — from three qualified contractors; since we are now comparing
apples to apples, it usually makes the most sense to accept the lowest price.
This is the process we're using now for a major interior renovation in the
mid-five figures, and so far it seems to be working well.  The challenge is,
How much "extra" should we spend to get the drawings and specs that spell out
exactly what we want?  Our community — like other condo associations, and
homeowners generally — is quite divided on this topic.

Either way, so far our range of candidate contractors has come from the
historical experience of our membership, not from Angie's List.  Over the
years, we've had a couple different property management companies.  Even so, we
are a very hands-on, do-it-yourself community, and are currently self-managing
(saving about $10K a year in management fees).  This, too, seems to be working
OK, or at least better than the managers we used to pay.

R Philip Dowds AIA
175 Harvey Street, Unit 5
Cambridge, MA 02140
617.354.6094