Re: common house kitchen stove
From: Wayne Tyson (landrestcox.net)
Date: Sun, 17 Mar 2013 17:40:48 -0700 (PDT)
Well, there are reflection ovens.

WT

----- Original Message ----- From: "R Philip Dowds" <rpdowds [at] comcast.net>
To: "Cohousing-L" <cohousing-l [at] cohousing.org>
Sent: Sunday, March 17, 2013 9:08 AM
Subject: Re: [C-L]_ common house kitchen stove

My point was not that natural gas is necessarily superior to electric when it's time to cook. My point was that there is no such thing as clean electricity. In the US, we get our electricity from ...

Coal combustion: 42%. Coal is the worst per kWh when it comes to release of greenhouse gases. Never mind blowing the tops off mountains to get at it cheaply. Natural gas: 25% and rising, thanks to fracking. In creating a kWh of electricity, gas releases about half as much GHGs as coal. But fracking has its own problems and risks.
Nuclear: 19%.  We all hate nuclear, Yes?
Hydropower, mostly from el biggo dams: 8%. Clean and renewable, Yes? Well, not totally. David Brower, the Sierra Club's most famous executive director, believed the absolute worst thing you can do to an ecosystem is build a dam in it.

All energy extraction, production, and transmission has consequences. Our future, if we have one, is not more electricity, but rather less energy use altogether.

Crudites, sashimi, ceviche and steak tartare, anyone?

RPD