Re: Multi-family units in lot development cohousing?
From: R Philip Dowds (rpdowdscomcast.net)
Date: Tue, 29 Oct 2013 17:42:06 -0700 (PDT)
Actually, condo law in Mass -- and I believe in other states -- makes quite
simple the private ownership of a dwelling unit placed on land, or within a
larger building, held in common ownership.  At Cornerstone, in our apartments
we own and control everything within the boundary of the drywall.  The
Association owns the elevator, stairs, corridors and common spaces, as well as
the exterior walls and roof.  For our townhouses -- row houses with a private
front and back door -- interior ownership is less restricted -- but exterior
walls and roof are owned, controlled, and maintained by the community.   In
theory, all land outside the building is common, but in practice, it's more
complex than that.  But it all seems to work -- for us, and in Mass, anyway.

RPD

Sent from my iPad