Re: Short-term rentals
From: Diana Carroll (dianaecarrollgmail.com)
Date: Fri, 1 Nov 2013 06:49:59 -0700 (PDT)
We don't have "rentals' in the sense of the community owning units to rent,
but we do have people who rent out their units, or who rent to housemates.

We don't have any rules to limit short-term rentals.

In my opinion, our renters have been a great asset to our community as a
whole.  We've had three households who rented a whole unit, and in all
three cases they rented here because they really wanted to live in our
community, so they participated like other folks.

With the roommates it varies a lot.  Some we hardly ever see -- it seems
they live here because they need a place to live and it's affordable or
convenient or whatever motivates someone to live somewhere.  Those folks
are neither a plus nor a minus, but their rent helps the owners stay
solvent, so that's a plus.  They've never caused any issues for the
community that I'm aware of.

Some of our roommates are active, engaged members in our community who
participate in work and meals and that's terrific.  We try to reach out and
encourage renters to become a part of the community.

I don't tend to think of people in terms of "short term" or "long term"
because I don't usually know what their life plans are, and I think often
neither do they.  We had a renter move in who then met a woman a few weeks
later that he essentially moved in with so I think he only spent about 5
nights here total, but that wasn't the original plan.  We've had two owners
sell units within 3 years of move-in who I assumed would be "long term" and
we've had renters stay for years who I imagined wouldn't be here long, so
who can really say?

Diana from
Mosaic Commons in semi-rural/exurban Berlin MA