Re: Short-term rentals
From: R Philip Dowds (rpdowdscomcast.net)
Date: Sun, 3 Nov 2013 06:32:55 -0800 (PST)
What intrigues me about these renter discussions are the two underlying
presumptions that:
     (1) Homeownership imbues both households and communities with a mystic
positive aura that promotes enlightened self-interest, responsible
participation, and domestic tranquility; while ...
     (2) Renters (if tolerated at all) are potential problems that always need
thoughtful and vigilant management.

Basically, this is bunk.

Nationwide, our owner-occupied dwelling unit rate is around two-thirds,
although this proportion favors the aged and disfavors young adults and
families.  Further, the “high” average includes suburban and rural location
where homeownership runs very high.  But most cities do not see the same high
rates.  Manhattan owner occupancy is about 20% of occupied residential units;
even Manhattan’s famous co-ops have trouble breaking beyond the 50% threshold.
In Cambridge (MA), owner occupancy is only about 35%.

Manhattan and Cambridge are healthy, functional, vital and exciting urban
centers; nobody would regard them as failed cities.  Detroit, on the other
hand, is about to go belly up.  The owner-occupancy rate of Detroit is about
70% … although that includes abandoned properties for which the resident owner
can no longer be found.

I will, of course, acknowledge that demographics in suburban and rural areas
are much different from city demographics.  But instead of trying to “manage”
the “renter problem”, sometimes we would do better to understand that if we
want our coho communities to be reasonable cross-sections of our town or city
or region, we would be actively figuring out how to accommodate renters and
welcoming them to join us.

R Philip Dowds
Cornerstone Village Cohousing
Cambridge, MA