Re: Short-term rentals
From: Diana Carroll (dianaecarrollgmail.com)
Date: Mon, 4 Nov 2013 04:49:19 -0800 (PST)
On Sunday, November 3, 2013, R Philip Dowds wrote:

> What intrigues me about these renter discussions are the two underlying
> presumptions that:
>      (1) Homeownership imbues both households and communities with a
> mystic positive aura that promotes enlightened self-interest, responsible
> participation, and domestic tranquility; while ...
>      (2) Renters (if tolerated at all) are potential problems that always
> need thoughtful and vigilant management.
>

>  <http://www.cohousing.org/cohousing-L/>

I didn't see that in any of the responses to this discussion so far.  What
are you responding to?

Anyway this question was specifically about short term rentals, not rentals
in general.  Short termness is a legitimate area of concern when attempting
to build community.  And by its very nature, ownership isn't generally
short term ... Just buying the house is a two month process while a renter
can come and go in less than that.

I agree that there is an anti renter bias in our society and in cohousing.
But I don't see in this discussion so I think your screed was off topic and
unhelpful.

Renters and owners have different relationships with the homes they occupy,
and discussing how that affects our communities is valid.  I don't think
your categorical rejection of "these discussions" and their supposed
universal  underlying premises is legit.

Diana
Mosaic commons Berlin ma