Re: Short-term rentals
From: Diana Carroll (dianaecarrollgmail.com)
Date: Mon, 4 Nov 2013 11:47:37 -0800 (PST)
I don't think the issues arise so much from whether or not they are paying
to stay there, but from their participation in the community (or not).

We too have had all sorts of people staying here at other people's home --
partners, relatives, etc, -- and I have no idea what their financial
arrangement is.  Our "rental" policy doesn't relate to financial
arrangements.  I mostly has to do with how much/long someone is around.
 There are also specific guidelines about someone occupying someone else's
house when the owner is not present (commonly a "renter" but it could apply
equally well to, say, a house-sitter or who knows what.)

http://mosaic-commons.org/rental

I think there's a big difference between a visitor staying for a weekend or
a week, and someone who *lives* here, whether part time or full time, for a
few weeks, months or years.  A visitor can rely on his or her host to
provide guidance about community participation, whereas someone who lives
here develops their own independent relationship with the community.

Therefore our guidelines state:

"Owners will work with the integration team to find mentor for their
Renters. The mentor shall introduce the Renters to other members of the
community and be available to answer questions and explain rules and
customs to the Renter"

Having at least one other person other than the owner as a "point of
contact" is really important to helping folks mesh well into the community,
whether it's just knowing how to use the laundry room, or getting them onto
our various email lists, or encouraging them to join teams and participate
in events if appropriate.

I think this applies equally regardless of how long the "renter" intends to
stay (assuming it's more than just a visit.)

Diana