Re: Members and rentals (was Short-term Rentals)
From: Diana Carroll (dianaecarrollgmail.com)
Date: Fri, 8 Nov 2013 05:26:37 -0800 (PST)
Close but not quite.

We have an HOA which is joint between the two groups, and it has its own
budget, which is created by the trustees for that HOA, and consensed on by
the members who attend the annual meeting -- which is mostly just the
trustees of the individual communities, but anyone is welcome.

Each of the communities also has an HOA with its own budget, because not
all "HOA" items are shared.  So, maintenance of individual units and common
houses is part of the individual community HOAs, whereas septic and roads
are part of the joint one.  The individual HOA budgets are prepared by the
Trustees of the respective HOAs, and consensed upon by the members of that
HOA.

So we actually have THREE budgets -- joint HOA, individual HOA, and
cohousing.  Our "sister" community Camelot does not, I believe, do it this
way...they just have the two, joint HOA and individual HOA.  As a member of
the board of Trustees of an individual HOA, I never have anything to do
with plowing and insurance; our representatives on the "master" HOA never
deal with unit exterior maintenance or CH utilities.  (Although we do try
to one one member who serves on both boards to facilitate communication.)

So the bicameral idea is nice, but not really how it works.  The analogy
would be more like if the Senate was in charge of budgeting for Defense,
Research and Education, and the House was in charge of budgeting for
Infrastructure, Health and Human Services, or whatever.  (Wow, wouldn't
THAT be a bad idea!!!!)

As for whether our "master association/sub-association" setup is
interesting...I guess, but I don't think it is going to apply to many
groups.  (I think it's unique, at least among coho communities I'm aware
of.)  It arose because we had two separate groups in MA seeking land at the
same time in the same area.  One group found land, but it was too
large/expensive for a single community, so they invited the other group to
co-own the property, and share the "overhead" of expenses for construction
of major facilities.