Re: Use of email
From: Jim Mayer (jimpentastich.org)
Date: Sun, 9 Feb 2014 19:54:25 -0800 (PST)
I'm not in a co-housing group, but I've been using email for over thirty
years.  In my experience, email is most useful when people treat it as if
they are writing a physical letter. It's tempting, though, because email
feels so interactive, to treat email correspondence as if it was a verbal
conversation.  Unfortunately, it's hard to read body language in an email
thread!

For example, suppose you and I were talking face to face.  I turn to you
and say, smiling, with an open body posture: "I can't believe you said
that!".  Now, suppose I said exactly the same words but with an angry scowl
and my arms tightly crossed.  The meanings are completely different!

Continuing the same example, suppose I said "I can't believe you said
that!", and then noticed that you  froze and looked hurt.  If I'd been
admiring your chutzpah, I'd know my meaning hadn't gotten across and would
say something right away.

With email, though, the message I blearily typed at 2:00 am might not be
read for hours, and it could be the next evening before I checked my email
again.  A lot of  interpersonal damage can happen in a day!

Group emails can get even messier.  You and I may have known each other for
years, and that context can promote understanding, but John Doe, who moved
in last week, doesn't know me at all.  It's the difference between a public
letter and a private one.

It sounds to me like the self-moderation and informal guidelines that Diana
mentioned are working about as well as they could.  I've never seen it done
"perfectly".  Actually, I wonder if the "difference in philosophy" Diana
mentioned might have to do with differences in learning style as much as
anything else.  I find it helpful to write my thoughts down, and I
appreciate it when other's do the same.  I've known very smart people,
though, who have a much more interactive learning style.  For them,
communication is a contact sport!

Thanks for the interesting topic!

Jim Mayer
Rochester, NY