Re: divorce in cohousing
From: Jenny Guy (jenstermeistergmail.com)
Date: Fri, 21 Feb 2014 10:13:50 -0800 (PST)
Hi Doug, it sounds like you have a type of membership for people who don't
live on-site and aren't owners, and a former resident/owner who is
transitioning to living off-site and not being an owner. The questions in
my mind are: what is the approval process for off-site members, and should
the person moving out have to be approved? And the bigger picture for me
is: is working things out with off-site members as crucial as working
things out with the people who live there? If an off-site member is part of
a conflict, do they have the same expectation of community support with
conflict resolution as residents? Do renters? I guess there would be 4
categories, resident owners, resident non-owners, non-resident owners and
non-resident non-owners.

I don't have an opinion on whether it should be equally important, and the
strength of relationships with off-site community members probably varies a
lot in different communities. I was just thinking that those are some
things that might need clarifying in your situation: rights,
responsibilities, expectations and status of different categories of
membership.

Jenny
Kingfisher Cohousing on Brookdale, Oakland, CA