Re: Costs for Shared Services
From: Eris Weaver (eriserisweaver.info)
Date: Wed, 2 Apr 2014 10:38:12 -0700 (PDT)
Our experience at FrogSong is more like what Katie describes. (Although
practically no one in our community has their own washer/dryer...maybe one
or two households out of thirty.)
We don't charge for laundry (including shared soap), guest room, Internet,
gas, water, etc.  Everyone uses different amounts of things, and tracking
exacts its own costs. We have, I believe, a culture of generosity. (Of
course, we are fairly well-off financially, too.) Yes, every now and then I
get annoyed at a neighbor who wastes gas by leaving her front door open, or
does small loads of laundry, or uses the guest rooms a lot...but I'm sure I
annoy people too. I get everything I need, and our dues are reasonable, so
why quibble about details? I think when someone gets upset about others
using more of something - nonparents about money spent on kids stuff, folks
who don't use the hot tub, whatever - it's important to look at how
much/whether THAT person's needs/wants are being met. If I get what I need,
I'm less likely to be annoyed about YOU getting something.

Eris Weaver, Graphic Facilitator & Group Process Consultant
eris [at] erisweaver.info • 707-338-8589 • http://www.erisweaver.info

“On days when you have no ideas at all, the best thing you can do is start
doodling.” Charles M. Schulz

fa cil i tāt: to make easier