Re: FHA Approval
From: Sharon Villines (sharonsharonvillines.com)
Date: Wed, 2 Apr 2014 11:01:03 -0700 (PDT)
On Apr 1, 2014, at 7:39 AM, Diana Carroll <dianaecarroll [at] gmail.com> wrote:

> On Mon, Mar 31, 2014 at 1:34 PM, Sharon Villines
> <sharon [at] sharonvillines.com>wrote:
>
>> I remember when I wasn't allowed to have the gas and electricity hooked up
>> because I was married so my husband had to do it. I couldn't get a credit
>> card in my own name. The telephone company refused to list my name in the
>> telephone directory because it was "dangerous for women." We had no sports
>> and a tiny gym until women got Title IX passed.
>
> Oh my God, Sharon, you're SO OLD!  Who knew?!?

It's hard to realize how old I am until I start listing off things like this.
But I also see the standards we fought for in the 1970s slipping away because
two generations while some things are taken for granted, others are neglected
or denied because the ramifications are no longer understood, even in cohousing.

For example: Why have we never had a female secretary? Why is the idea laughed
at as irrelevant?

Age brings perspective on many things because I have more personal experience
of more things. I understand why African counties are suffering because they
have so few adults they are run by people too young to remember. And why
societies were strengthened when life expectancy dramatically increased.

When the Constitution was written, the age of 35 was chosen for the minimum age
of the president because the drafters feared a dynasty like the English kings.
At age 35 it was unthinkable that a person would still have a parent in a
position of authority, even if they were alive.

Not a lecture -- just a perspective. I still feel 35 except when I consider
issues like this. I see history repeating itself and it's hard when you are
living in community with the people repeating it.

Sharon
----
Sharon Villines
Elegance in Organization