to borrow or not to borrow?
From: Seasons of Food (seasonsoffoodhccgmail.com)
Date: Mon, 23 Mar 2015 14:07:32 -0700 (PDT)
We’re a new yet-to-be built co-housing community. Equity members have invested
$20,000 to our collective pot. We hope to break ground in July 2015 and will be
borrowing at 5.5% interest. There are mixed feelings about borrowing, some
support borrowing from the bank, others think we should ask for voluntary
contributions from EMs that can “afford” it  (so far 4 of 13 EMs have pledged
$100K for a lower interest return than 5.5%), and yet others feel we should ask
for a next instalment of funds from everyone, like 10-20% of unit cost. Some
are afraid that we will lose EM’s as perhaps not everyone can access the funds
currently. What have others’ experience with this sensitive item been and what
is most successful?