Re: Movies or short videos about cohousing (Malin Hansen)
From: Ann Zabaldo (zabaldoearthlink.net)
Date: Sun, 12 Apr 2015 10:37:54 -0700 (PDT)
When I wrote that sentence I was speaking more metaphorically and
illustratively about the premise that we welcome people of color to come to
"our home" but we so infrequently visit their home

If you want to get into the Top 10 Ways to Reach People of Color… We can do
that.   And It can start right here:

What do you think that would look like? How would your marketing and outreach
be inclusive? Reach people of color?

In the town where you live what would this look like for you?

This is actually the easy stuff. It's the EHO symbol, it's the advertising in
media that targets people of color etc.  that's easy stuff.

The harder part is to be a stand when it's tough.   Even when it costs money.
And even harder:  when you don't know that you don't know you don't know.
That's the place of "but everybody's welcome here."

Let me give you an example that I've commented  on this list multiple times in
the past.

Many groups will have in their literature: living with like-minded people.

Now to most of us with that means: living with people who share my values.

"Like-minded" is code for "doesn't include me."  I don't use it – ever.

I had the most extraordinary conversation with two women of color when I was
enthusiastically explaining to them how awesome it is that in  cohousing we
could write our own bylaws and our own rules. I thought they'd be thrilled!
Their response was: oh you mean the deck will be stacked against us?   When
white people write the rules we get left out.

The issues surrounding race, ethics, values, diversity, etc. are SUBTLE.   They
are built up over many decades of inequality. We've come a long way from White
Only drinking fountains but we are still struggling from the subtle beliefs
that keep us hooked in this spiral.

I know for myself this is true. I'm a nice person. I do everything I can to be
as fair and as open-minded as possible. And I still find myself tripping over
old beliefs and fears.

Ann zabaldo
Takoma village cohousing
Washington DC