Re: AirBnB in Cohos?
From: Sharon Villines (sharonsharonvillines.com)
Date: Tue, 21 Apr 2015 10:23:19 -0700 (PDT)
> On Apr 21, 2015, at 12:51 PM, Eris Weaver <eris [at] erisweaver.info> wrote:
>
> Some felt there is a
> qualititative difference between using something like AirBnB  to rent a room
> while you are home versus renting your whole home while you are gone.

I would add that renting to a person you know, is also very different than to a
stranger. We have had several people have their friends stay in their unit when
they are gone--sometimes money changes hands and sometimes it doesn't. We are
in DC so it is a treat to visit without very high hotel bills, and we are 2
blocks from the Metro. But the friends are very much like their friends who
live here. We barely notice them, except when they join meals or evening
festivities in the piazza or on the green.

We have one household that takes an extended trip for 4-6 weeks every summer.
They are members of the group that exchanges houses internationally, Servas?
That group has a history with its members and they tend to be very similar and
responsible, and familiar with fitting in to new situations. These visitors
sometimes make friends here and people visit them in return. Being here for a
month, they do mix more.

But AirBnB is a whole different kettle of fish. I have a friend who is a member
of a B&B network in NYC that manages renting rooms and his rule is that no one
can stay more than 2 nights the first time they visit, before he commits to a
week. And he interviews them before hand. I don't know if AirBnB works that way.

Sharon
----
Sharon Villines
Takoma Village Cohousing, Washington DC