Re: Aging in Place
From: Kathryn McCamant (kmccamantCOHOUSING-SOLUTIONS.COM)
Date: Sun, 9 Aug 2015 23:54:16 -0700 (PDT)
My observation, which David¹s email also seems to further confirm, is that
the people who do most of the caretaking and thinking about aging are
empty nesters and older, generally those in their 60¹s plus. As we get
closer to the time when we might need the assistance of others, we tend to
think about this stage of life a lot more.

I think it is unrealistic to expect families with kids at home to have
time to assist the elderly in their communities beyond the most basic
ways. (Not to say they don¹t care  and would try to help as they can.)
Families with kids at home tend to work on constant time crunches between
work, kids and their own parents' needs. And it has been my observation
that while we love the kids in our community, most of us are not
voluteering for babysitting others' kids.

I think David¹s community¹s approach is a great way to create a ³team²
that is thinking of such things within an intergenerational community.

Katie
--
Kathryn McCamant, President
CoHousing Solutions

On 8/8/15, 2:37 PM, "Cohousing-L on behalf of David Entin"
<cohousing-l-bounces+kmccamant=cohousing-solutions.com [at] cohousing.org on