Re: Developer Model of Co-housing
From: R Philip Dowds (rpdowdscomcast.net)
Date: Thu, 3 Sep 2015 16:19:16 -0700 (PDT)
I think every case is different.  I certainly know of a number of cohousing
communities conceived and animated by a paid architect, or architect /
developer, that have proceeded through the entire process successfully.  In at
least one of these, the builder / contractor joined the community as well, and
now lives in the buildings he was paid to construct.  Transparency of intents
and business practices can go a long way toward preventing or resolving
“conflicts of interest”.

In the case of my own community, Cornerstone Village Cohousing, an architect /
developer was one of the originators of the founders' group.  Unfortunately, he
was in over his head, and as the development process got stressed out and
costly, he had to leave the group, and litigation over fee disputes ensued.
This is certainly a risk when some of the founders have special business
relations with the venture.  But it’s also a risk when you get crosswise with
your independent consultants.  The true truth is that real estate development
is hard, expensive, and risky — all the more so for a newly convened group of
amateurs who don’t yet know each other very well.  Frankly, I have intense
admiration for any founding group that actually succeeds in building cohousing.

Another reality is that the whole thing is smoke and mirrors until you own the
land, or at least have an enforceable option on the land.  Taking title to land
is the point at which a founding group moves from well-intentioned idealism to
the demanding pragmatics of pro formas, zoning boards, building codes,
schedules, inflation and bank collapses, and miscellaneous parties who don’t do
what they told you they would do.  If you don’t have the land, you don’t have a
project.  And once you have the land, you’re often in a constant struggle to
make sure that the project doesn’t have you.

This is not easy stuff.

R Philip Dowds
175 Harvey Street, Unit 5
Cambridge, MA 02140