Developer Model of Co-housing
From: Thomas Lofft (tloffthotmail.com)
Date: Fri, 4 Sep 2015 08:46:23 -0700 (PDT)
 Robin & Sue Ellen raise a very important question for development teams.
Who owns the land?
Who's going to invest the financing required to jumpstart the project?
Who is creating value in the project?
Does that value attach to the land? when?
How does the financier secure any promise to recover its investment in either
the short term or long term? If it's a commercial lender, they will undoubtedly
require collateral in either the subject property or other assets of the
borrower(s) or both and all.
A similar risk is incurred by any party owning land, entering into a
partnership agreement with any other party, related or unrelated, who seeks to
obtain any interest in the property. Are they contributing fair value
comparable to the land value interest being sought?
If one member of a forming group owns the land and seeks to get other members
financially invested in the project, I believe the owner of land which will
accrue value from the joint effort funded by others should pledge the land
contractually to the ownership and control of the group. The terms of that
contract should be explored openly with all the members of the group
considering investment.
Perhaps the greater question is: "How does this happen?
Most typically, it results from a conditional contract for purchase, detailing
the obligations of all parties, the schedule for performance, the expectations
of results, the conditions that would be considered a default by any of the
parties, the conditions for cure of default, and the conditions for
interpretation and resolution of disputes, e.g., whether by mediation,
arbitration or litigation.

Tom Lofft
Liberty Village, MD

"Robin Allison" robin.allison [at] earthsong.org.nz wrote:
To: <cohousing-l [at] cohousing.org>
Subject: Re: [C-L]_ Developer Model of Co-housing

I too would be very interested to hear any experience of cohousing that has
arisen successfully in this way.

I come across this situation a lot, where one family owns a property and would
like to either create cohousing on it, or at least invite others to "share" the
land and build community there. A transition is required at some stage to
transfer the ownership and decision-making from the original owners to the
cohesive group, and even with the very best intentions, it seems that this is a
very tricky transition.

If we believe that risk and control need to go together, then the land-owners
need to keep some control while they are the only ones at (financial) risk. If
they want to share the risk, they need to also share the control, and if a
group wants to share the control, as in consensus decision-making, they need to
also share the risk. Skin in the game, and all that.

If there were successful strategies for making this transition, I think there
would be a lot more cohousing in NZ.

Thanks
Robin Allison
Earthsong Eco-Neighbourhood in New Zealand.
www.earthsong.org.nz