Re: Words I Wish We Used
From: Ruth J Hirsch (heidinysearthlink.net)
Date: Mon, 7 Sep 2015 07:00:44 -0700 (PDT)
Hi,

Yes,  I refer to our CommonHouse as our Community Center to other local folks.
Folks know what a community center is.
It works.

Ruth hirsch
Cantines Island
Saugerties
Approaching twenty years;  one building lot available.

Date: Sun, 6 Sep 2015 17:40:48 -0700
From: Lynn Nadeau / Maraiah <welcome [at] olympus.net>
To: cohousing-l [at] cohousing.org
Subject: Re: [C-L]_ Words I Wish We Used

I too find "common house" a term which is misleading to the uninitiated. It's
not a house which multiple families live in, a la commune. It's not even a
house. When referring to it, to visitors for example, I refer to it as our
"community hall". That takes care of the common ownership, and "hall" makes
people think of a meeting hall, a dining hall, a parish hall, a place for big
events, a place more public than a private home. Which pretty much covers the
territory.

Maraiah Lynn Nadeau
RoseWind Cohousing, long-built, in Port Townsend WA
(where we are finally getting some rain)
PS:  I have an intermittent e-mail glitch.  If you write and do not hear back
from me shortly, please call me or please re-send.  Thank you,  Ruth